Wednesday, February 06, 2008

No more BINKIES

At 20 months of age, I thought she'd have more hair. At 20 months of age, I thought she'd be talking LESS (little chatterbox!). At 20 months of age, I thought FOR SURE she would be done with her binky. I guess I wasn't trying hard enough to take it away, but I just still think of my little baldy as such a baby. This sort of happened out of convenience. Or lack thereof. We were driving home from Jana's house one night and the kids were TIRED. Ava fell asleep in the car with her purple binky in her mouth. See exhibit A.



When we arrived home, it was raining and we were in a rush to get the kids in the house. The binky never made it inside. Now I know for a fact that we have purchased about 57 binkies for this kid. However, when she cried at 2AM, there were NONE to be found. (It turned out later that my mom found a big stash of them in a basket Aves had been playing with.) So we decided right then and there that she was done. No more binkies. Surprisingly, it wasn't very hard at all. She asked for it 2 or 3 times after that night, but we never gave in. We combed the house and made sure to find all of the other binks before she could, and believe me, there were TOO many. Anyway, she has been clean for almost 2 weeks and we are not going back. I just think it's comical that I have pictures documenting the very LAST time she used her pacifier and then after it dropped out of her tired little mouth. See exhibit B.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok that first picture makes me want another baby so bad, she is precious. Way to go not caving in and giving her another binki, her teeth will thank you for it. Poor Kenz, we just can't lose or take away her thumb, and her teeth have paid quite a price for it.

PEHNelson said...

Hey Hunter was about to turn three when he finally gave up his binks. He traded it in for a peice of cake. Riley on the other hand is a thumb sucker and will need braces!!!! But i often think of those pacifiers and wonder which one of liked them more....the baby....or the parents......Was it really caused they like them or because we made them like it because it got them quiet????? oh well gotta love the pacifier!

Sabra said...

I'm proud of you! It's a tough thing forcing our kids to grow up! I just gave our baby his last bottle on his birthday (tradition). That was almost a month ago. It was harder on my than him (always). My baby is growing up!

The McEwen Family said...

Very cute pictures first of all. And I am dreading the day i have to take away Madison's binkie's I say i will do it next month when she turns 1 but Ha Ha i know it won't happen. I hope it's as easy as ava losing her's!!

Angela said...

That's how we did it too. Benjamin was our little paci kid. I feel lucky that we haven't had thumb suckers, now if only we could get rid of everything silkey in our house! :)