Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Just a thought

I keep sitting here thinking that this shouldn't be bothering me. I should definitely be used to this kind of thing by now. A man at work passed away yesterday. I work at an assisted living home and this kind of thing happens all the time. I've been in this line of work for 10 years, give or take a few child-bearing years. I visited with him just before I left to go shopping for Bingo prizes (a very vital task) and when I returned, he was gone. Pretty normal situation, I guess.
Here's what I think is bothering me. He and his wife shared a room. They had been married since 1939. Um, that is almost 70 years. I walked back there and hugged the poor woman and the look in her eyes really made me feel sad. I know she was probably grateful to have him for that long. I know she probably knew it was coming soon. But he took care of her. And she needed him. And she looked so lost when the news was sinking in.
And I just realized that I am thinking of myself. And my mom. And my mother-in-law. And my sisters. And my grandma who had to live for 26 years by herself. Women almost always outlive their men. I guess I should feel like they are stronger and they can handle it, but I don't feel all independent when I see this situation firsthand.
Anyway, just have to put it out there that I am SO thankful that my husband...friend...true love...did I mention best FRIEND...companion...has been there for me for the last seven years and I hope we make it to EIGHTY years of marriage! And if he leaves me a little early, I'm just thankful I will someday have him forever.
(Sorry about the morbid post- older people just force you to think about things you don't want to sometimes.)

5 comments:

The McEwen Family said...

Very deep Natalie, yes a little morbid LOL but your right it's hard to think of ever loosing my husband because he is the same to me as your husband is to you. But there's time and all eternity which is wonderful to think of!!

Kimmy said...

Nat- I am sorry to hear that. Kind of an emotional line of work you are in, bless your heart. I hope you and Ro have 80 more years together too.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I totally cried when I read this post. I don't know if it casue my mom is dealing with that right now for a second timne or what, but it is so sad. I am so glad they have a wonderful person(you) working with them everyday to add some joy to their lives. You are awsome!

Tina said...

You have to think about these things once in awhile. It's part of life! Older people DO force you to think ahead sometimes, and it is smart to try to learn all you can from looking ahead like that.

I hope you will go back and hug her many more times....

leinbachfamily said...

Oh I'm so sad, I remember you telling me about them when I was there. the lady must feel so lost with out him.