Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Road trip heaven!

When we first got married, we often woke up on Saturday mornings and decided to go on a last-minute road trip. We did a modified version of that get-up-and-go thing yesterday, and after about an hour of getting little people dressed and getting their things gathered, we took off. They had no idea of the fun day that was in store for them! Days like this are why you decide to have kids in the first place. So you can see life through their little eyes and get excited about the simple things again.


First we stopped at that mysterious watch tower that is in the mountains on the way to San Diego. I remember stopping there with my Dad when I was a kid. Mase was excited to climb all the stairs and look through the telescope at the top.


Then we explored the animal carvings in the rock area outside. The kids loved it!


Mase and Ro climbed to the very top, even without their climbing shoes on. (Who am I kidding? We don't own climbing shoes!)


Mase and Ava rode on lizards and buffalo and snakes...


We drove them by where we got married six years ago. They both thought they were there at the wedding. (:


After a little window shopping and some sushi for lunch (Mase says "Shoe-see") we went to Belmont Park at Mission Beach. Mase was bummed he couldn't ride the big roller coaster, so we went on the Tilt-A-Whirl. He laughed hysterically the whole time.


Aves was nervous about us on that crazy ride and was happy to have me back.


We finally made it down to the beach right at sundown. It was so beautiful.


Our camera ran out of batteries at this point (good thing or else this post would be EVEN LONGER), but they had a blast running around and digging in the sand.

They both kept expressing their joy: Mase kept saying, "This is AWESOME!" and "This is the best day EVER!" and Ava kept saying, "Yay!" and just cracking up. Usually when we are walking around she says, "Hold you!" but she was mad if we picked her up because she was having so much fun exploring.
Ro thought I was silly when he looked at me and I was all teary. How could I help it when I look at these guys experiencing such a fun time together? Days like these erase all of the hard times and struggles and just make everything okay. WAY better than okay... perfect!

5 comments:

mmg said...

I wish I had been there with you all.

The McEwen Family said...

Looks like you guys had such a great trip! Your kids are just so cute! I can't wait till Madison is big enough to play with Jake! You just have such a beautiful family!

Lindsay Nichole said...

nat, i love it when you cry for that stuff!!!

that one of ava and mase on the beach is the cutest!

Jamie & Johnny said...

Sorry, I haven't checked your blog in a long time. I'm sorry but your pictures are great. I love that you just up'd and went on a road trip to San Diego. So jealous you get to do that. If I lived in Yuma, I think I'd do that every Saturday. How fun. Glad you had fun and I'm excited for your Christmas plans, how cool for your family!

Hess Fam said...

i bet they were at your wedding...i got a tad choked up when i read that, so i had to comment...kinda like the feeling people get in fast & testimony meeting that i tend to ignore. it is alot easier to adhere to on a blog.

matthew